Monday, November 16, 2009

Beauty TIP #3 | Hair Questions...Yes or No?


I started helping out my aunt (my dad's younger sister) at her salon when I was 15 years old.  I would help her out a few days a week after school, sweeping hair, keeping her stations neat and tidy, washing clients' hair, merchandising hair products, answering the phone and booking appointments, cutting, highlighting, colouring hair (not her clients' hair of course but family and friends that were brave and willing to let me touch their hair) and so much more.  Clients call her "the hair doctor" because she is extremely great at what she does.  I was and still am fortunate enough to learn so much from her. 

Ever wonder why our hair does what it does?  I'm sure we've all had these hair raising questions lingering in the back of our minds.  Linger no more!

  Can split ends be repaired? 
No!

I'm a huge fan of JOICO's K-Pak Line.  Their products protect and smooth the hair's cortex.  I like to use K-Pak Split End Mender, its' dual-polymer technology strongly, healthfully sinks into and bonds the porous ends of our hair.  This instantly improves the look and overall condition of split ends, and with continued use, prevents more from ever happening.  Nonetheless, a trim is always the best way to deal with split ends – it stops them from fraying up the entire hair shaft.

Will brushing my hair 100 strokes a night keep it healthy and shiny?
No!

However, brushing with a pure-bristle brush spreads natural oils along the hair shaft, making your hair appear glossier.  As for how many strokes, it's up to you – a hundred isn't excessive if you use the right brush.


Is it true that changing my shampoo and conditioner every few months
will prevent my hair from getting "used" to them?
Yes and No!

You should change your hair products every 6 months, not because your hair develops some so-called "immunity" to them but rather, the change of season, from hot and humid to dry and cold.

Is it true that I shouldn't wash my hair every day?
No!

Washing your hair every day isn't damaging, as long as you use a conditioner after shampooing, you won't dry out your hair!  I use Kérastase Nutritive Bain Satin shampoo and conditioner.  Leave the conditioner in for about 5 minutes after shampooing, then rinse.


After highlighting or colouring my hair,
should I wait two days before washing it to preserve the colour?
No!

If you've had a salon colour treatment, you can wash your hair the next day, but if you've gone the DIY route, follow the instructions that came in the box, which usually recommends waiting 24 hours or more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment